ProComm - A Division of Southwest Radio Sales, Inc.
Arizona State Contract # CTR046832

© 2013 ProComm, Division of Southwest Radio Sales, Inc.  Created by Studio902 Web Solutions using Serif WebPlus X5

Regulatory News


THE RULES FOR GMRS (summarized) ARE:



THE RULES FOR FRS (summarized) ARE:



THE RULES FOR MURS (summarized) ARE:


VHF/UHF Narrowbanding Information


On January 1, 2013, all public safety and business industrial land mobile radio systems operating in the 150-512 MHz radio bands must cease operating using 25 kHz efficiency technology, and begin operating using at least 12.5 kHz efficiency technology. This deadline is the result of an FCC effort that began almost two decades ago to ensure more efficient use of the spectrum and greater spectrum access for public safety and non-public safety users. Migration to 12.5 kHz efficiency technology (once referred to as Refarming, but now referred to as Narrowbanding) will allow the creation of additional channel capacity within the same radio spectrum, and support more users.

After January 1, 2013, licensees not operating at 12.5 KHz efficiency will be in violation of the Commission's rules and could be subject to FCC enforcement action, which may include admonishment, monetary fines, or loss of license.

More Information:

Beginning in about 1998 radio manufacturers began manufacturing equipment capable of narrowband operation.  Just because a radio is “capable” of narrowband operation, it does not mean it is set up for narrowband.  Two things need to happen in order for your radio system to be compliant. 1) You must be licensed for narrowband operation and 2) you must have your radios re-programmed to narrowband mode if they are capable.  Radios which are too old to be compatible with narrowband operation will need to be replaced.

If you have questions regarding licensing for the new narrowband mode, to obtain new narrowband-capable radios or to have your old equipment reprogrammed to narrowband, please use our contact form or call us and we will be happy to help you out.

The following links are provided for your information:


FCC License REQUIRED for Most Radio Communications

There’s a very common misconception among the general public that one may simply purchase a two-way radio and use it for any purpose whatsoever, without regard to any regulations or licensing requirements. This article will explore where we believe this misconception came from and expose the truth regarding FCC requirements for two-way radio operation.

The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) is the regulatory agency for all RF (Radio Frequency) emissions in the United States. They regulate all forms of electronic communication within our borders. The FCC’s rules for Two-Way Land Mobile radio communications are very specific: with few exceptions, ALL radio communications MUST be licensed.

The exceptions are as follows: